Winter morning …

… today in Kiedrich …

Kiedrich is first mentioned in a document of the Archbishopric of Mainz. Although the document is not dated, it is known to have originated during the time of Archbishop Frederick (937-954). About 1160 building work began on Scharfenstein Castle. Winegrowing in Kiedrich was first mentioned as early as 1131.

Kiedrich belonged to Electoral Mainz (the Archbishopric), and passed, in 1806, to the Duchy of Nassau. In 1866 it was absorbed by Prussia. The community avoided amalgamation with other municipalities during Hesse’s municipal restructuring.

Author: Editor

Share This Post On
error: Copyright 2000-2017 by Julia Keller